We all know that Thanksgiving is just right around the corner and every year on Thanksgiving day we all say what we are thankful for. However, I believe we should be thankful every day and say what we are thankful for not just on this special day that comes around once a year. People sometimes forget or take for granted of what they already have. Hey! Even me, I forget for how thankful I am of where I’m at today, for the people in my life, and for things that I already have. As of now, if you have a roof over your head, your own bed, and have food on the table then you are RICH. I know that’s a tough pill to swallow, but stay with me here!
I’m not trying to make you feel bad, but I want people to realize of what they already have and how lucky they are to live in America. Also, do people really understand the true meaning of what it means to be thankful? The definition of Thankful in the Merriam-Webster dictionary says, “glad that something has happened or not happened, that something or someone exists.” We can become a more thankful people! Here are 3 ways that can help you, if you don’t understand how to be thankful or to become a more thankful person.
In today’s society, people can lose sight of what they have and get locked into this modern world that we miss the obvious things that we should be thankful for
When you receive or give something, look at the blessing of it and show that you acknowledge that blessing.
This task can be tricky to accomplish but it’s very important to know. Being thankful is not just acknowledging the blessing but understanding what all took in place for that blessing to happen.
So consider every blessing you give and receive on another level and all of what went into making that blessing a possibility for you or for someone else. In the bible it states in First Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Did you catch that? Give thanks in ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. Thankfulness should be a way of life for us and naturally flowing from our hearts and mouths.
I would like to take each day to say what I’m thankful for, however I know I am behind. So here are the first 14 that I am thankful for: (Each day can get harder for you to think about what you are thankful for because you actually have to sit down and think about everything that is in your life. Plus, if you can fill up a whole month of being thankful than you should have nothing to complain about, especially for those who don’t even have a roof over their head)
- I am thankful for my relationship with my Lord and Savior
- I am thankful to have another day!
- I am thankful for the wonderful man in my life and being my best friend
- I am thankful for my family for always supporting me
- I am thankful that I still have my mom in my life, because I don’t know what I would do without her
- I am thankful for my friends for always being there for me
- I am thankful for the great opportunity to go to Texas Tech University
- I am thankful for the awesome job I get to work at every day on campus
- I am thankful for the fantastic apartment I live in!
- I am thankful for my new car that I so greatly depend on to get me everywhere. People will not understand of how grateful a car is until when they don’t have one to get around in. (I personally know from experience!!)
- I am thankful for the new opportunities of meeting new people and developing new friendships
- I am thankful for the city I live in, because I would not get the chance to have these opportunities
- I am thankful to GET the choice of having the variety of different clothes to wear every day. (Thank goodness, because I love fashion!!)
- I am thankful for the money I have to eat out and buy things that I WANT and NEED
Challenge: Take a moment out of each day and reflect on how the things or people that you are thankful for!