Jorge Mario Bergoglio, becoming Pope Francis, is the head of the Catholic Church and sovereign of the Vatican City State. He is a breath of fresh air, and famous Pope Francis quotes will teach us about faith, hope, and charity while giving us a new perspetive on life, happpiness and love.
If you’re searching for best life sayings to share with the people you love or just want to feel inspired yourself, browse through an amazing collection of wisdom of god quotes, divine grace quotes and perfect understanding quotes.
Best Pope Francis Quotes
Life is a journey. When we stop, things don’t go right.
Human rights are not only violated by terrorism, repression or assassination, but also by unfair economic structures that creates huge inequalities.
Women in the church are more important than bishops and priests.
A little bit of mercy makes the world less cold and more just.
This is important: to get to know people, listen, expand the circle of ideas. The world is crisscrossed by roads that come closer together and move apart, but the important thing is that they lead towards the Good.
A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges is not Christian. This is not in the Gospel.
Heads of the Church have often been narcissists, flattered and thrilled by their courtiers. The court is the leprosy of the papacy.
Instead of being just a church that welcomes and receives by keeping the doors open, let us try also to be a church that finds new roads, that is able to step outside itself and go to those who do not attend Mass, to those who have quit or are indifferent.
Grace is not part of consciousness; it is the amount of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason.
I like it when someone tells me ‘I don’t agree.’ This is a true collaborator. When they say ‘Oh, how great, how great, how great,’ that’s not useful.
If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge? We shouldn’t marginalize people for this. They must be integrated into society.
Together with a culture of work, there must be a culture of leisure as gratification. To put it another way: people who work must take the time to relax, to be with their families, to enjoy themselves, read, listen to music, play a sport.
It is true that the Muslim world is not totally mistaken when it reproaches the West of Christian tradition of moral decadence and the manipulation of human life.
We have to work harder to develop a profound theology of women within the church. The feminine genius is needed wherever we make important decisions.
These days there is a lot of poverty in the world, and that’s a scandal when we have so many riches and resources to give to everyone. We all have to think about how we can become a little poorer.
The church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules. The most important thing is the first proclamation: Jesus Christ has saved you.
I call for a courageous and responsible effort to redirect our steps and to avert the most serious effects of the environmental deterioration caused by human activity.
The authority of the pope is not unlimited.
I am a sinner. That is the most accurate definition. It is not a figure of speech, a literary genre. I am a sinner.
Among us, who is above must be in service of others. This doesn’t mean we have to wash each other’s feet every day, but we must help one another.
Since God created the world, He also created reality.
Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person? … It is necessary to accompany them with mercy.
Money has to serve, not to rule.
The media only writes about the sinners and the scandals, he said, but that’s normal, because ‘a tree that falls makes more noise than a forest that grows.
God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking his mercy.
No one can grow if he does not accept his smallness.
We must restore hope to young people, help the old, be open to the future, spread love. Be poor among the poor. We need to include the excluded and preach peace.
Only the person who feels happiness in seeking the good of others, in desiring their happiness, can be a missionary.
We cannot sleep peacefully while babies are dying of hunger and the elderly are without medical assistance.
The world needs the courage, hope, faith and perseverance of Christ’s followers.
In the Church, and in the journey of faith, women have had and still have a special role in opening doors to the Lord.
Climate change represents one of the principal challenges facing humanity today, and the response requires the solidarity of all.
From my point of view, God is the light that illuminates the darkness, even if it does not dissolve it, and a spark of divine light is within each of us.
In the shoes of the other, we learn to have a great capacity for understanding, for getting to know difficult situations.
I am a sinner and I am fallible.
Fasting is not only about abstaining from food. It also means sharing food with those who are hungry.
To be merciful means to grow in a love which is courageous, generous and real.
Hope opens new horizons and enables us to dream of what is not even imaginable.
Hope lets new life blossom, like a plant that grows from the seed fallen on the earth.
Take action! Live life to the full! And when others see the witness you give, they may ask: why do you live this way?
It is so important to listen! Husbands and wives need to communicate to bring happiness and serenity to family life.
To change the world, we must be good to those who cannot repay us.
A person who is not convinced, enthusiastic, certain and in love, will convince nobody.
God can fill our hearts with his love and help us continue our journey together towards the land of freedom and life.
The measure of the greatness of a society is found in the way it treats those most in need, those who have nothing apart from their poverty.
Dear young people, do not bury your talents, the gifts that God has given you! Do not be afraid to dream of great things!
If I can help at least one person to have a better life, that already justifies the offering of my life.
The future of society requires the fruitful encounter between young and old.
However dark things are, goodness always re-emerges and spreads. Each day in our world beauty is born anew.
Today people are suffering from poverty, but also from lack of love
Although the life of a person is a land full of thorns and weeds, there is always a space in which the good seed can grow. You have to trust God.
Work ends up dehumanizing people.
Being a believer means learning how to see with eyes of faith.
The royal road to peace is to see others not as enemies to be opposed but as brothers and sisters to be embraced.
Fears close doors, freedom opens them, and even when [the space for] liberty is small, it opens a window.
Small gestures of love, of tenderness, of care, make people feel that the Lord is with us. This is how the door of mercy opens.
In a broken world, to communicate with mercy means to help create closeness between the children of God.
God wants us all to see one another as brothers and to live as such, forming a great human family that is harmonious in its diversity.
Dear young people do not be afraid of making decisive choices in life. Have faith; the Lord will not abandon you!
It is the disease of cowards, who do not have the courage to speak upfront and so talk behind one’s back. Watch out against the terrorism of gossip!
If God is present in our life, the joy of bringing the Gospel will be our strength and our happiness.
More than a scientific question, the universe is a joyful mystery that speaks of God’s boundless love for us.
Love is the only light which can constantly illuminate a world grown dim.
If our hearts and actions are inspired by charity, by divine love, then our communication will be touched by God’s own power.
Holy Quotes from Pope Francis on Happiness, Service to Others & Family
- Our world is facing a refugee crisis of a magnitude not seen since the Second World War. This presents us with great challenges and many hard decisions. On this continent, too, thousands of persons are led to travel north in search of a better life for themselves and for their loves ones, in search of greater opportunities. Is this not what we want for our own children? We must not be taken aback by their numbers, but rather view them as persons, seeing their faces and listening to their stories, trying to respond as best we can to their situation.
- And I believe in God, not in a Catholic God, there is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation. Jesus is my teacher and my pastor, but God, the Father, Abba, is the light and the Creator. This is my Being.
- A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person? We must always consider the person.
- People who started a new union after the defeat of their sacramental marriage are not to be excommunicated, and they must absolutely not be treated that way.
- We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage, and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of a church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.
- When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician. But that is not so… He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment.
- God is not… a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life… Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.
- My authoritarian and quick manner of making decisions led me to have serious problems and to be accused of being ultraconservative. I have never been a right-winger. It was my authoritarian way of making decisions that created problems.
- It is deplorable that homosexual persons have been and are the object of violent malice in speech or in action. Such treatment deserves the condemnation from the church’s pastors wherever it occurs.
- He who doesn’t pray to the Lord prays to the devil.
- A Christian who does not pray for those who govern is not a good Christian.
- I prefer a church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security.
- Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free: it is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person.
- Politics is a noble activity. We should revalue it, practise it with vocation and a dedication that requires testimony, martyrdom, that is to die for the common good.
- Each of us has a vision of good and of evil. We have to encourage people to move towards what they think is good… Everyone has his own idea of good and evil and must choose to follow the good and fight evil as he conceives them. That would be enough to make the world a better place.
- Jesus is the gate opening up to salvation, a gate open to everyone.
- The principal mission of the Church is evangelization, bringing the Good News to everyone.
- The gift of the Holy Spirit has been bestowed in abundance so that we may live lives of genuine faith and active charity.
- We now live in a culture of the temporary, in which more and more people are simply giving up on marriage as a public commitment.
- Christianity spreads through the joy of disciples who know that they are loved and saved.
- A Christian is never bored or sad. Rather, the one who loves Christ is full of joy and radiates joy.
- God’s forgiveness is stronger than any sin.
- Those who do not believe in or search for God have perhaps never been challenged by a testimony of faith.
- There are many excuses (to justify why one does not give money when asked by a person begging on the street, some may think), I give money and he just spends it on a glass of wine! A glass of wine is his only happiness in life! (Giving to those in need) is always right… tossing money and not looking in (their) eyes is not a Christian (way of behaving).
- The perfect family doesn’t exist, nor is there a perfect husband or a perfect wife, and let’s not talk about the perfect mother-in-law! It’s just us sinners A healthy family life requires frequent use of three phrases: “May I? Thank you, and I’m sorry” and “never, never, never end the day without making peace.”
- True joy which is experienced in the family is not something random and fortuitous, but normal and ongoing.
- To form a family is to be a part of God’s dream, to join him in building a world where no one will feel alone.
- …because a Church without the Eucharist doesn’t have strength – the Church makes the Eucharist, but the Eucharist also makes the Church.
- We must not forget that the idealization of a person is always a subliminal kind of aggression…When I am idealized, I feel attacked.
- Lent is a new beginning, a path leading to the certain goal of Easter, Christ’s victory over death.
- Lent urgently calls us to conversion. We are called to return to God with all our heart.
- God has caressed us with his mercy. Let us bring God’s tender caress to others, to those who are in need.
- The way of the Church is not to condemn anyone forever, it is to pour out the balm of God’s mercy.
- With the weapons of love, God has defeated selfishness and death. His son Jesus is the door of mercy wide open to all.
- The tenderness of God is present in the lives of all those who attend the sick and understand their needs, with eyes full of love.
- Let us be close to our brothers and sisters who are going through illness and also their families.
- I encourage all of you to see in Mary, Health of the Infirm, the sure sign of God’s love for every human being.
- Let us never forget to pray for each another. Prayer is our greatest strength.
- The Kingdom of God is already in our midst like a hidden seed. Anyone with pure eyes can see it blossom.
- Let us never place conditions on God! Entrusting ourselves to the Lord means entering into his plans without demanding anything.
- The dignity of children must be respected: we pray that the scandal of child-soldiers may be eliminated the world over.
- All are called to love and cherish family life, for families are not a problem; they are first and foremost an opportunity.
- The strength of the family lies in its capacity to love and to teach how to love.
- Children have the right to grow up in a family with a father and mother capable of creating a suitable environment for the child’s development and emotional maturity. Today marriage and the family are in crisis.
- The family is where we are formed as people. Every family is a brick in the building of society.
- Refugees are not numbers, they are people who have faces, names, stories, and need to be treated as such.
- We cannot keep ourselves shut up in parishes, in our communities, when so many people are waiting for the Gospel!
- Being a Christian is not just about following commandments: it is about letting Christ take possession of our lives and transform them.
Top Mercy and Compassion Quotes of Pope Francis
- The Church must pattern her behavior after the Son of God who went out to everyone without exception.
- To understand, forgive, accompany and integrate. That is the mindset which should prevail in the Church.
- Loving and forgiving are tangible and visible signs that faith has transformed our hearts.
- The Gospel responds to our deepest needs, since we were created for what the Gospel offers us: friendship with Jesus.
- Jesus is more than a friend. He is a teacher of truth and life who shows us the way that leads to happiness.
- Children are a wonderful gift from God and a joy for parents.
- In the world of work today it is essential to educate and follow the luminous and demanding path of honesty.
- Open and caring families find a place for the poor.
- How marvelous it would be if, at the end of the day, each of us could say: today I have performed an act of charity towards others!”
- Are you angry with someone? Pray for that person. That is what Christian love is.
- The love of God is not generic. God looks with love upon every man and woman, calling them by name.
- The secret of Christian living is love. Only love fills the empty spaces caused by evil.
- Let the Church always be a place of mercy and hope, where everyone is welcomed, loved and forgiven.
- In prayer let us experience the compassion of God, full of merciful love.
- We are all on a journey to the common house of heaven, where we will be able to admire with joyful wonder the mystery of the universe.
- Even in the worst situation of life, God waits for me, God wants to embrace me, God expects me.
- Jesus understands our weaknesses and sins; and he forgives us if we allow ourselves to be forgiven.
- Being Christian involves joining one’s own life, in all its aspects, to the person of Jesus and, through Him, to the Father.
- The Lord asks us to be men and women who radiate the truth, beauty and the life-changing power of the Gospel.
- Inconsistency on the part of pastors and the faithful between what they say and what they do, between word and manner of life, is undermining the Church’s credibility.
- Christ is our greatest joy; he is always at our side and will never let us down.
- There is so much noise in the world! May we learn to be silent in our hearts and before God.
- Jesus loved us. Jesus loves us. Without limit, always, to the end.
- Christian hope is a gift that God gives us if we come out of ourselves and open our hearts to him.
- Dear young people, you have many plans and dreams for the future. But, is Christ at the center of each of your plans and dreams?
- Every time we give in to selfishness and say ‘No’ to God, we spoil his loving plan for us.
- Let us take our Christian calling seriously and commit to live as believers.
- Do not tire of asking in prayer for the Lord’s help especially in difficulty.
- I believe in God, not in a Catholic God, there is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation.
- The true disciple of the Lord commits himself personally to a charitable ministry whose scope is man’s multiform and endless poverty.
- Our prayer cannot be reduced to an hour on Sundays. It is important to have a daily relationship with the Lord.
- I say that politics is the most important of the civil activities and has its own field of action, which is not that of religion. Political institutions are secular by definition and operate in independent spheres. All my predecessors have said the same thing, for many years at least, albeit with different accents. I believe that Catholics involved in politics carry the values of their religion within them but have the mature awareness and expertise to implement them. The Church will never go beyond its task of expressing and disseminating its values, at least as long as I’m here.
- Let us ask the Lord for the grace not to speak badly of others, not to criticize, not to gossip, but rather to love everyone.
- Proselytism is solemn nonsense, it makes no sense. We need to get to know each other, listen to each other and improve our knowledge of the world around us.
- The Saints are not supermen, nor were they born perfect. When they recognized God’s love, they followed it and served others.
- The home is the place where we learn to appreciate the beauty of the faith, to pray and serve our neighbor.
- When disciples of Christ are transparent in heart and sensitive in life, they bring the Lord’s light to the places where they live and work.
- The Lord never tires of forgiving. It is we who tire of asking for forgiveness.
- This generation, and many others, have been led to believe that the devil is a myth, a figure, an idea, the idea of evil… But the devil exists and we must fight against him.
- Dear young people, let us not be satisfied with a mediocre life. Be amazed by what is true and beautiful, what is of God!
- Hatred is not to be carried in the name of God.
- We cannot be Christians part-time. If Christ is at the center of our lives, he is present in all that we do.
- We are all sinners. But may the Lord not let us be hypocrites. Hypocrites don’t know the meaning of forgiveness, joy and the love of God.
- Ask yourselves this question: How often is Jesus inside and knocking at the door to be let out, to come out? And we do not let him out because of our own need for security, because so often we are locked into ephemeral structures that serve solely to make us slaves and not free children of God.
- If we want to advance in the spiritual life, then, we must constantly be missionaries.
- Faith is not a light which scatters all our darkness, but a lamp which guides our steps in the night and suffices for the journey. To those who suffer, God does not provide arguments which explain everything; rather, his response is that of an accompanying presence, a history of goodness which touches every story of suffering and opens up a ray of light.
- There is no cross, big or small, in our life which the Lord does not share with us.
- Gossip can also kill, because it kills the reputation of the person! It is so terrible to gossip! At first it may seem like a nice thing, even amusing, like enjoying a candy. But in the end, it fills the heart with bitterness, and even poisons us.
- Mission is at once a passion for Jesus and a passion for his people.
- The human heart desires joy. We all desire joy, every family, every people aspires to happiness. But what is the joy that the Christian is called to live out and bear witness to? It is the joy that comes from the closeness of God, from his presence in our life. From the moment Jesus entered into history, with his birth in Bethlehem, humanity received the seed of the Kingdom of God, like the soil receives the seed, the promise of a future harvest.
- Indifference towards those in need is not acceptable for a Christian.
- May no one use religion as a pretext for actions against human dignity and against the fundamental rights of every man and woman.
- It is not enough to say we are Christians. We must live the faith, not only with our words, but with our actions.
- Dear young people, Christ asks you to be wide awake and alert, to see the things in life that really matter.
- A true missionary who never ceases to be a disciple, knows Jesus walks with him speaks to him, breathes with him, works with him.
- If one has the answers to all the questions-that is the proof that God is not with him. It means that he is a false prophet using religion for himself. The great leaders of the people of God, like Moses, have always left room for doubt.