Friendship is a type of relationship between two people who care about each other and best friend quotes share the most inspiring, touching, thought-provoking and helpful thoughts about friendship.
Few things have such a huge impact on happiness and the enjoyment, depth and plain fun of life as the friendships we have. Good mates are there for you in good and bad times, but, remember that not every friend is the right friend for you. Also, research shows that bonds of friendship are critical to maintaining both physical and emotional health. These quotes about friends perfectly reflect the true spirit about being there for each other.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one." – C.S. Lewis
We just need to know that someone out there “gets us.” Friends will come and go in our life, but more important than how long our friendships last is our bestie’s acceptance of us for who we are. A bff walks the talk, shows that they care by their actions and just gets us.
“A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden."
Whether we have a small group of close friends or an expanded group of personalities, as best friend paragraphs demonstrate, each of our friendships brings something new to our lives, inspiring us to see the world a totally different way, giving us a new shoulder to lean on, and a new cheerleader to root us on.
“Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life." -Amy Poehler
A friend can provide an immense amount of support and comfort in good times and in bad. They are just like words of encouragement and best quotes, they are trustworthy and willing to tell you the truth, even when it’s hard for you to hear and stick around when things get tough.
Best Friend Quotes About Friendship
The aim of bff quotes is to remind you of the true meaning of deep, lasting friendships. Also, besties for life quotes are one of the perfect ways to tell your best friend how much you care.
- “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." – Walter Winchell
- “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.” – Khalil Gibran
- “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you." – Winnie the Pooh
- “No friendship is an accident.” ― O. Henry, Heart of the West
- “I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." – Ernest Hemingway
- “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one." – C.S. Lewis
- True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils. Strive to have friends, for life without friends is like life on a desert island… to find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him is a blessing.
- “Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.” ― Elie Wiesel
- “True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable." – David Tyson
- “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” – Amy Poehler. It is also one of my favorite short inspirational quotes.
- “Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart." – Washington Irving
- “Dear George: Remember no man is a failure who has friends.” – It’s a Wonderful Life
- “There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met." – Jim Henson
- “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” ― William Shakespeare
- “A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world." – Leo Buscaglia
- The language of friendship is not words but meanings. – Henry David Thoreau
- “The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul.” – Shanna Rodriguez
- “Don’t make friends who are comfortable to be with. Make friends who will force you to lever yourself up." – Thomas J. Watson
- “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.” – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." – Dale Carnegie
- “Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow-ripening fruit.” ― Aristotle
- “A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you just the way you are."
- “Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest, it’s about who walked into your life, said “I’m here for you,” and PROVED it.”
- “How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live ’em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give ’em." – Shel Silverstein
- “There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends.” ― Sylvia Plath
- “Ultimately the bond of all companionship, whether in marriage or in friendship, is the conversation." – Oscar Wilde
- “A sweet friendship refreshes the soul.” – Proverbs 27:9
- “What you do not want to be done to yourself, do not do to others." – Confucius
- “When a woman becomes her own best friend, life is easier.” – Diane von Furstenberg
- “A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down." – Arnold H. Glasgow
- “There is nothing I wouldn’t do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature.” – Jane Austen
- “I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better." – Plutarch
- “Friendship is delicate as a glass, once broken it can be fixed but there will always be cracks.” – Waqar Ahmed
- “In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." – Albert Schweitzer. Sometimes thank you quotes are helpful to express all the gratitude for friends.
- When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. ― Henri J.M. Nouwen
- “True friends are like diamonds – bright, beautiful, valuable, and always in style.” ― Nicole Richie
- “The real test of friendship is can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple?" – Eugene Kennedy
- “Some people go to priests. Others to poetry. I to my friends.” – Virginia Woolfe
- “A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad." – Arnold H. Glasgow
- “I get by with a little help from my friends.” – The Beatles
- “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages." – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. That’s what real love amounts to – letting a person be what he really is." ― Jim Morrison
- “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything." – Muhammad Ali
- “An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.” – Buddha
- “If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together… there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart… I’ll always be with you." – Winnie the Pooh
- “Friends should be like books, few, but hand-selected.” ― C.J. Langenhoven
- “Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that." – Ally Condie
- “A strong friendship doesn’t need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part.”
- “One’s friends are that part of the human race with which one can be human." – George Santayana
- “Some people arrive and make such a beautiful impact on your life, you can barely remember what life was like without them.” – Anna Taylor
- “A friend who understands your tears is much more valuable than a lot of friends who only know your smile.”
- “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." – Audrey Hepburn
- “A true friend is someone who will always love you – the imperfect, the confused, the wrong you – because that is what people are supposed to do.” – R. J. L.
- “Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm & constant."’ – Socrates
- “Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a hopeful soul.” – Steve Maraboli
- “One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention." – Clifton Fadiman
- “Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations. Don’t over-analyze your relationships. Stop playing games. A growing relationship can only be nurtured by genuineness. “ – Leo F. Buscaglia
- “Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and to have her nonsense respected." – Charles Lamb
- “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." – Marcel Proust
- “If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere." – Zig Ziglar
- “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “You can always tell a real friend: when you’ve made a fool of yourself he doesn’t feel you’ve done a permanent job. – Laurence J. Peter
- “Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great." – Mark Twain
- “Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you." – William Arthur Ward
- “No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow." – Alice Walker
- “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together." – Woodrow T. Wilson
- “Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer." – Ed Cunningham
- “Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success." – Oscar Wilde
- “Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take." – Anthony Robbins
- “Sometimes being with your best friend is all the therapy you need."
- “The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart." – Elisabeth Foley
- “There’s one sad truth in life I’ve found
While journeying east and west –
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best."
– Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down." – Oprah Winfrey
- “Do not keep on with a mockery of friendship after the substance is gone – but part, while you can part friends. Bury the carcass of friendship: it is not worth embalming." – William Hazlitt
- “A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." – Arthur Brisbane
- “That’s when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you – the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you – because that is what people are supposed to do."
- “A good word is an easy obligation; but not to speak ill requires only our silence; which costs us nothing." – John Tillotson
- “When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are." – Donald Miller
- “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." – Anais Nin
- “Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief." – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone." – Maxwell Maltz
- “A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." – Bernard Meltzer
- “The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when someone asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer." – Henry David Thoreau
- “Many a person has held close, throughout their entire lives, two friends that always remained strange to one another, because one of them attracted by virtue of similarity, the other by difference." – Emil Ludwig
- “Best friends share laughs, memories and inside jokes. They will always be honest and stand by your side no matter what. They wipe your tears, pick you up when you fall and are forever a piece of your heart."
- “People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges." – Joseph F. Newton Men
- “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship." – Thomas Aquinas
- “Friendship is like a glass ornament, once it is broken it can rarely be put back together exactly the same way." – Charles Kingsley
- “Everyone has a friend during each stage of life. But only lucky ones have the same friend in all stages of life."
- “A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails." – Donna Roberts
- “There is nothing better than a friend unless it is a friend with chocolate. “ – Linda Grayson
- “It is the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter." – Marlene Dietrich
- True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi connects automatically.
- “Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over." – Gloria Naylor
- “There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound." – Diana Cortes
- “Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings." – Miles Franklin
- “All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand." – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- “It is not so much our friends’ help that helps us, as the confidence of their help." – Epicurus
- “Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is the attitude." – William James
- “The tender friendships one gives up, on parting, leave their bite on the heart, but also a curious feeling of a treasure somewhere buried." – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" – Abraham Lincoln
- “A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him, I may think aloud. I am arrived at last in the presence of a man so real and equal, that I may drop even those undermost garments of dissimulation, courtesy, and second thought, which men never put off, and may deal with him with the simplicity and wholeness with which one chemical atom meets another." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “True friends aren’t the ones who make your problems disappear. They are the ones who won’t disappear when you’re facing problems."
- “Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose." – Tennessee Williams
- “One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood." – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “If it’s very painful for you to criticize your friends – you’re safe in doing it. But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that’s the time to hold your tongue." – Alice Duer Miller
- “The best time to make friends is before you need them." – Ethel Barrymore
- “A true friend is someone who sees the pain in your eyes while everyone else believes the smile on your face."
- “In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, for in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed." – Khalil Gibran
- “They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel." – Carl W. Buechner
- “Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget."
- “The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most." – Dale Carnegie
- “True friends are those rare people who come to find you in dark places and lead you back to the light."
- “A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden."
- “Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend." – Albert Camus
- “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me." – Henry Ford
- “To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person you may be the world." – Brandi Snyder