If you believe the phrase you are what you think, then life truly stems from your thoughts. But we cannot rely purely on thoughts; we must translate thoughts into words and eventually into actions in order to manifest our intentions. This means we have to be very careful with our words, choosing to speak only those which work towards our benefit and cultivate our highest good. Affirmations help purify our thoughts and restructure the dynamic of our brains so that we truly begin to think nothing is impossible. The word affirmation comes from the Latin affirmare, originally meaning “to make steady, strengthen.”
What is Affirmation
Affirmations are sentences aimed to affect the conscious and the subconscious mind. The words composing the affirmation, automatically and involuntarily, bring up related mental images into the mind, which could inspire, energize and motivate. Repeating affirmations, and the resultant mental images, affect the subconscious mind, which in turn, influences the behavior, habits, actions and reactions.
Affirmations are proven methods of self-improvement because of their ability to rewire our brains. Much like exercise, they raise the level of feel-good hormones and push our brains to form new clusters of “positive thought” neurons. In the sequence of thought-speech-action, affirmations play an integral role by breaking patterns of negative thoughts, negative speech, and, in turn, negative actions. A 2014 article from Stanford University finds many positive results from value-based self-affirmations.
Also remember that positive thinking/affirmation doesn’t mean that you keep your head in the sand and ignore life’s less pleasant situations. Positive thinking just means that you approach unpleasantness in a more positive and productive way. You think the best is going to happen, not the worst.
Research is beginning to reveal that positive thinking is about much more than just being happy or displaying an upbeat attitude. Positive thoughts can actually create real value in your life and help you build skills that last much longer than a smile. With repetition affirmations sink into your subconscious mind, you really start to believe them, and eventually they become your reality, they become a self fulfilling prophecy and actually become true.
Affirmations are basically a form of auto-suggestion, and when practiced deliberately and repeatedly, they reinforce chemical pathways in the brain, strengthening neural connections.
“In brief, we have realized that ‘neuroplasticity,’ the ongoing remodeling of brain structure and function, occurs throughout life. It can be affected by life experiences, genes, biological agents, and by behavior, as well as by thought patterns.” Says David J. Hellerstein, M.D., a Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University,
What are Some Examples of Daily Affirmations, Positive Thinking & Thoughts
Here are a few positive affirmations to get you started. Please feel free to share your own in the comments below! Also you can get more idea from Good Thoughts and Powerful Affirmations for Abundance, Positive Affirmations for Love, List of Positive Affirmations for Women, Acceptance Prayer and Abundance Prayer.
- I am the architect of my life; I build its foundation and choose its contents.
- I am peaceful in my body, heart, and soul.
- Today, I am brimming with energy and overflowing with joy.
- I easily see the lesson or the blessing in all that is.
- My body is healthy; my mind is brilliant; my soul is tranquil.
- I am authentic and present.
- I have been given endless talents which I begin to utilize today.
- I forgive those who have harmed me in my past and peacefully detach from them.
- A river of compassion washes away my anger and replaces it with love.
- I am guided in my every step by Spirit who leads me towards what I must know and do..
- I possess the qualities needed to be extremely successful.
- Creative energy surges through me and leads me to new and brilliant ideas.
- Happiness is a choice. I base my happiness on my own accomplishments and the blessings I’ve been given.
- My ability to conquer my challenges is limitless; my potential to succeed is infinite.
- I am courageous and I stand up for myself.
- My thoughts are filled with positivity and my life is plentiful with prosperity.
- Today, I abandon my old habits and take up new, more positive ones.
- Many people look up to me and recognize my worth; I am admired.
- I am blessed with an incredible family and wonderful friends.
- I acknowledge my own self-worth; my confidence is soaring.
- Everything that is happening now is happening for my ultimate good.
- I am a powerhouse; I am indestructible.
- Though these times are difficult, they are only a short phase of life.
- My future is an ideal projection of what I envision now.
- My efforts are being supported by the universe; my dreams manifest into reality before my eyes.
- I radiate beauty, charm, and grace.
- I am energetic and strong.
I see the best in everyone and they in me.
- I am conquering my illness; I am defeating it steadily each day.
- My obstacles are moving out of my way; my path is carved towards greatness.
- I wake up today with strength in my heart and clarity in my mind.
- My fears of tomorrow are simply melting away.
- I am at peace with all that has happened, is happening, and will happen.
- Every day, I offer gratitude, trust and faith for everything that happens in my life.
- My life is just beginning.
You can utilize any of these affirmations alone or create your own unique combination based on your personal wishes and needs. What is most important is to establish a profound communication with the universe — so say it with conviction, say it in your own unique voice, and make it happen in the real world.
You are important. You are capable. You are smart. And you are worthy of love and happiness.
You are enough. Now it’s time to believe it.
Discover how easy it is to turn your life from a constant state of struggle and loneliness into a state of self-approval and self-acceptance.