Yoda has become one of the biggest icons of Star Wars since his introduction in The Empire Strikes Back. While he’s popular for various reasons such as his design and his power, it’s his personality and words of wisdom that resonate the most. This list of Yoda quotes compiles all the wisdom from his film appearances.
Grand Jedi Master Yoda is wise, disciplined, calm, thoughtful and at the same time funny and powerful. You can see more of him in the second trilogy teaching young Jedis at the Jedi Temple and other scenes were he eventually uses his power in battle. In the series, this character played an integral role in training Luke Skywalker, imparting his wisdom throughout the storyline and trains Luke Skywalker to fight against the Galactic Empire.
The Jedi Master Yoda’s legendary sayings are packed with knowledgeable and wise statements that do not only apply to the Star Wars universe but in real life as well. For this reason, you will get some insight from a selection of Yoda’s most powerful, inspiring, and wise quotes.
Top 10 Yoda Quotes
“Train yourself to let go… of everything you fear to lose." Jedi Master Yoda
“You will know when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." Jedi Master Yoda
“You will find only what you bring in." Jedi Master Yoda
“To be Jedi is to face the truth, and choose. Give off light, or darkness, Padawan. Be a candle or the night." Jedi Master Yoda
“Accept the challenge I do, Your Highness. Arrive by nightfall, I will." Jedi Master Yoda
“Do or do not. There is no try.” Jedi Master Yoda
“You must unlearn what you have learned.” Jedi Master Yoda
“Named must be your fear before banish it you can.” Jedi Master Yoda
“The greatest teacher, failure is.” Jedi Master Yoda
“Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.” Jedi Master Yoda
If you’re searching for the best sayings and images to share with the people you love or just want to feel inspired yourself… look no further! From the Dr. Seuss Quotes, quotes by Maya Angelou, Confucianism quotes and sayings from Bob Marley, we’ve got you covered.
Best Yoda Quotes
- Yoda: “A Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger. Fear. Aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow. Quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan’s apprentice.”
Luke: “Vader… Is the dark side stronger?”
Yoda: “No! No…no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive.”
Luke: “But how am I to know the good side from the bad?”
Yoda: “You will know, when you are calm. At peace. Passive.”
- “No longer certain, that one ever does win a war, I am. For in fighting the battles, the bloodshed, already lost we have. Yet, open to us a path remains. That unknown to the Sith is. Through this path, victory we may yet find. Not victory in the Clone Wars, but victory for all time."
- “Padawan, thousands of Jedi once there were. Then came war. In our arrogance, join the conflict swiftly we did. Fear, anger, hate. Consumed by the dark side, the Jedi were."
- “A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless."
“Smaller in number are we, but larger in mind." Yoda
- “If you end your training now — if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did — you will become an agent of evil."
- “You must unlearn what you have learned."
- Waitress: “Anything else?”
Yoda: “Yes. We would like our meal comped.”
Waitress: “Your meal will be comped.”
Mace Windu: “Stop that! What happened to only using the Force for knowledge and defense?”
Yoda: “I was. Defending my wallet I was from the evil price hikes.”
―Yoda, using the Force correctly, from a certain point of view
- “No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will."
- “When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not." Return of the Jedi
- “Always pass on what you have learned."
- “Feel the force!"
- Yoda: “Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.”
Anakin: “What must I do, Master Yoda?”
Yoda: “Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
―Yoda and Anakin Skywalker, discussing premonitions of the loss of Padmé
- “Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is." Attack of the Clones
- “Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you."
- Luke: “Master Yoda, are you content? You’ve been alone for so long…”
Yoda: “Alone? No. Always the past to keep me company. The creatures on the planet, and the Force. And now you. Annoying though you may be.”
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Yoda
- “In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way."
- Luke: “I don’t want your help. I want my lamp back. I’m gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole.”
Yoda: “Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!”
―Luke Skywalker and Yoda, meeting for the first time on Dagobah
- “[Luke Skywalker:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail."
- “Hmm. Darker the coming storm grows. I fear the dark cloud of the Sith shrouds us all."
- “Luke, when gone am I… the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is… another… Sky… walker."
- “That is why you fail." The Empire Strikes Back
- “Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained."
- “Wrong? Hmm. A long time, fought I did. Consumed by fear, I was, though see it I did not."
- “Patience you must have my young padawan."
- Luke: “There’s something not right here. I feel cold… death.”
Yoda: “That place is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go.”
Luke: “What’s in there?”
Yoda: “Only what you take with you.”
―Luke Skywalker, training with Yoda
- “Yes, afraid. Hmm, surprised are you? A challenge lifelong it is, not to bend fear into anger."
- “Remember, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware anger, fear, and aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke… do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father’s fate you will."
- “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not."
- “Use your feelings, Obi-Wan, and find him you will."
- “Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is."
- Dooku: “What do you want? Tell me what you want and I will show you how the dark side can help you achieve it. Do you want friends? The dark side can compel them for you. Lovers? The dark side understands passion in a way you never have. Do you want riches—endless life—deep wisdom…?”
Yoda: “I want… I want a rose.”
―Dooku and Yoda
- “Destroy the Sith we must."
- “Ahhh! Yoda’s little friend you seek!"
- Sidious: “I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend. At last, the Jedi are no more.”
Yoda: “Not if anything to say about it I have!”
―Darth Sidious and Yoda, just before Yoda sends Sidious flying across the room
- “Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is!"
- “May the Force be with you."
- “Like fire across the galaxy, the Clone Wars spread. In league with the wicked Count Dooku, more and more planets slip. Against this threat, upon the Jedi Knights falls the duty to lead the newly formed army of the Republic. And as the heat of war grows, so, too, grows the prowess of one most gifted students of the Force."
- “Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be. As is your faith in the dark side of the Force."
- “To answer power with power, the Jedi way this is not. In this war, a danger there is, of losing who we are."
- “Happens to every guy sometimes this does"
- Yoda: “Like a river, the Force flows through you. Learned much you have, in these past three months. And more quickly than any student I have taught before.”
Leia: “Even my father?”
Yoda: “Strong was the Force with Anakin, before he became Vader. Yet impatient and stubborn he was. Constantly pushing to excel beyond his ability. More sublime, your approach has been.” [Leia kills a swamp slug that sprays water everywhere] “Yet learned you have not the hazards of using a superheated blade against a foe made mainly of water.”
―Yoda, during the training of Leia Organa, in an alternate timeline
- “Adventure. Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things." The Empire Strikes Back
- “Who’s your Jedi Master? Who’s your Jedi Master?"
- “Reckless he is. Matters are worse."
- “Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice."
- “Mine, or I will help you not!"
- “Judge me by my size, do you?" The Empire Strikes Back
- “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future…"
- “At an end your rule is, and not short enough it was!"
- “I was not strong enough to defeat him. Like his master before him, be destroyed, he must."
- “Control, control, you must learn control!"
- “Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering." The Phantom Menace
- “Decide you must, how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered."
“Do. Or do not. There is no try."
- “On many long journeys have I gone. And waited, too, for others to return from journeys of their own. Some return; some are broken; some come back so different only their names remain."
- “Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing…"
- “Good relations with the Wookiees, I have."
- “Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have. Twilight is upon me, soon night must fall."
- “Not if anything to say about it I have"
- “Secret, shall I tell you? Grand Master of Jedi Order am I. Won this job in a raffle I did, think you? ‘How did you know, how did you know, Master Yoda?’ Master Yoda knows these things. His job it is."
- “[Speaking about Luke and Leia Skywalker] Save them we must. They are our last hope."
- “Your weapons, you will not need them."
- “Do not assume anything Obi-Wan. Clear your mind must be if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot."
“Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view." Jedi Master Yoda
- “Put a shield on my saber I must"
- “Already know you that which you need."
- “Oh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great."
- “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter." The Empire Strikes Back
- “I have many children, as you seek you may find that this is the last one till he must die before he must reach the becoming of mankind. Many men have failed but I have surpassed their expectation of being a Jedi master."
- “Younglings, younglings gather ’round."
- “You think Yoda stops teaching, just because his student does not want to hear? A teacher Yoda is. Yoda teaches like drunkards drink, like killers kill."
- “Only the Dark Lord of the Sith knows of our weakness. If informed the senate is, multiply our adversaries will."
- “The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is."
- “And well you should not. For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you… me… the tree… the rock… everywhere! Yes, even between this land and that ship!"
- “Pain, suffering, and death I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain"
- Luke: “I don’t believe it.”
Yoda: “That is why you fail.”
―Luke Skywalker and Yoda, after Yoda lifts the X-wing with the Force
- “Luminous beings are we… not this crude matter."
- “Do. Or do not. There is no try." The Empire Strikes Back
- “Not victory , Obi-Wan. The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen. Begun, this Clone War has."
- “The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader."
- “When you look at the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back."
- “Strong is Vader. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can."
- “If so powerful you are… why leave?"
- “If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find." Yoda to Obi-Wan
- “I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."
- Dooku: “Why not do it the easy way, Master?”
Yoda: “Because it is easy.”
―Dooku and Yoda, on using the Force for simple tasks
- “Hmm. To a dark place this line of thought will carry us. Great care we must take."
- “Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future… the past. Old friends long gone."
- “Joined the Dark Side Dooku has. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are his ways now."
- “Stopped they must be; on this all depends. Only a fully-trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his Emperor."
- “Not if anything to say about it I have"
- “Named must your fear be before banish it you can."
- “Foreplay, cuddling a Jedi craves not these things"
- Yoda: “Help you I can. Yes, mmm.”
Luke: “I don’t think so. I’m looking for a great warrior.”
Yoda: “Oh! Great warrior. Wars not make one great.”
―Yoda and Luke Skywalker, meeting on Dagobah
- “Blind we are, if creation of this clone army we could not see."
- “Looking? Found someone you have, eh?"
- “So certain were you. Go back and closer you must look."
- “Cover up this discovery we must. No one, not even the Chancellor, may know. Valiant men, the clones have proven to be. Saved my life and yours they have many times. Believe in them we must. Win the war swiftly we must, before our enemy’s designs reach completion, whatever they may be."
- “Hmm. In the end, cowards are those who follow the dark side."
- “[Luke Skywalker:] What’s in there? [Yoda:] Only what you take with you."
- Yoda: “Each act, you see, is like a fossil, preserved in the Force, as – aiee! Stop! Stop! Eating this, I am!”
Droid: “This bowl contains a substance my sensors cannot identify as food. Please wait here, and I will bring you one of today’s specials.”
―Yoda and Kitchen Droid
- “No! Unfortunate that you rushed to face him… that incomplete was your training. That… not ready for the burden were you."
- “If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find."
- “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not."
- “The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side."
- “[When asked if he can die:] Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong."
- “Early must I rise. Leave now you must!"
- Obi-Wan: “I must admit, without the clones, it would not have been a victory.”
Yoda: “Victory? Victory, you say? Master Obi-Wan, not a victory. The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen. Begun, the Clone War has.”
―Yoda, to Obi-Wan Kenobi, before the Clone Wars
- “Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is. Only a Jedi could have erased those files. But who, and why, harder to answer. Meditate on this I will."
- “Much to learn you still have… my old padawan. This is just the beginning!"
- “Away put your weapon. I mean you no harm."
- Luke: “Master Yoda, you can’t die.”
Yoda: “Strong am I with the Force, but not that strong. Twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall. That is the way of things. The way of the Force.”
―Luke Skywalker and Yoda
- “Yes. Yes. A flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones."
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are… a different game you should play"
- “Around the survivors a perimeter create."
- “Accept the challenge I do, Your Highness. Arrive by nightfall, I will."
- “Into exile I must go. Failed, I have."
- “Stay for some soup you must."
- That’s it. What do you think? Did we nail it? Are we out of our minds? Did we overlook something? Let us know in the comments below!
Some Facts About Yoda
Yoda’s full name as being “Minch Yoda”
Frank Oz Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Tom Kane Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Anderson Junior My “Spiritual” Ex-Lover
He modeled after Albert Einstein
Nope. Yoda voiced by Frank Oz but generally it is a mechanical being. Although in the old films yoda was a puppet. But the new movies it was digital animation
“Fear is the path to the dark side." and “Do. Or do not. There is no try."