Marilyn Monroe quotes show that one of the most recognizable names and faces in the world, Norma Jeane Mortenson – better known as Marilyn Monroe – knew a thing or two about life, love, and how to be happy, and she had a lot of credibility due to the life she led.
Marilyn Monroe was an American actress, model, and singer. Although the world lost her at the young age of 36, her legacy of films remain. In addition to her acting talents, Marilyn Monroe possessed depth and intelligence and she left us with some of the most profound quotes and sayings of all time.
- Short Marilyn Monroe Inspirational Quotes
- Best Marilyn Monroe Love Quotes
- Marilyn Monroe Quotes About Life
- Famous Marilyn Monroe Sayings From Movies
- Marilyn Monroe Quotes About Real Beauty
“We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle.” -Marilyn Monroe tweet
“Always, always, always believe in yourself. Because if you don’t, then who will, sweetie?” – Marilyn Monroe tweet
“The nicest thing for me is sleep, then at least I can dream.” ― Marilyn Monroe tweet
“Be real, be yourself, be unique, be true, be honest, be humble, be happy.” — Marilyn Monroe tweet
If you’re searching for the best sayings and images to share with the people you love or just want to feel inspired yourself… look no further! From Doctor Seuss quotes, Maya Angelou sayings, and Buddha quotes on life, we’ve got you covered.
Short Marilyn Monroe Inspirational Quotes
Marilyn Monroe was one of the greatest shining stars and ultimate symbols of beauty and femininity that the world has ever known. She was and still is the inspiration of many. Prepare to be surprised with you some inspirational, interesting and funny quotes by Marilyn Monroe:
“Keep smiling because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.” – Marilyn Monroe tweet
- “We should all start to live before we get old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.”
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
- “A wise girl kisses but doesn’t love, listens but doesn’t believe, and leaves before she is left.”
- “You better believe when the conversation is getting shorter with you… it’s getting longer with someone else.”
- “A girl knows her limits but a wise girl knows she has none.”
- “Unfortunately, I am involved in a freedom ride protesting the loss of the minority rights belonging to the few remaining earthbound stars. All we demanded was our right to twinkle.”
- “I restore myself when I’m alone. A career is born in public — talent in privacy.”
- How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.”
- “It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone – so far.”
- “I used to think as I looked out on the Hollywood night, there must be thousands of girls sitting alone dreaming of being a movie star. But I’m not going to worry about them. I’m dreaming the hardest.”
- “I knew how third rate I was. I could actually feel my lack of talent as if it were cheap clothes I was wearing inside. But, my God, how I wanted to learn, to change, to improve! I didn’t want anything else, not men, not money, not love, but the ability to act.”
- “I’ve been asked, ‘Do you mind living in a man’s world?’ I always answer, ‘Not as long as I can be a woman in it.’”
- “I could never pretend something I didn’t feel. I could never make love if I didn’t love, and if I loved I could no more hide the fact that change the color of my eyes.”
- “I’m very definitely a woman and I enjoy it.”
Best Marilyn Monroe Love Quotes
Wise words from a beautiful soul, Marilyn Monroe about love and relationship.
- “The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.”
― Marilyn Monroe
- “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them.”
― Marilyn Monroe
- It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.
- I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let people fool themselves. They didn’t bother to find out who and what I was. Instead, they would invent a character for me. I wouldn’t argue with them. They were obviously loving somebody I wasn’t.
- It’s often just enough to be with someone. I don’t need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You’re not alone.
- I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.
- I could never pretend something I didn’t feel. I could never make love if I didn’t love, and if I loved I could no more hide the fact that change the color of my eyes.
- “You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.” Marilyn Monroe
- “I always felt insecure and in the way, but most of all I felt scared. I guess I wanted to love more than anything else in the world.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “A girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her.” — Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe Quotes About Life
Whether you’re a long-time fan of Monroe or simply curious, you’ll find this list comprises everything from sad musings on life and love to surprisingly clever witticisms. It’s become clear over the years that Monroe was much smarter than her on-screen persona, and one has to wonder how her career would’ve been viewed if given another two decades to perform.
“We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.” ― Marilyn Monroe tweet
- “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
― Marilyn Monroe
- “This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends – they’ll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything – they’re your true best friends. Don’t let go of them. Also remember, sisters, make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they’ll come and go too. And baby, I hate to say it, most of them – actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can’t give up because if you give up, you’ll never find your soulmate. You’ll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life’s a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.”
― Marilyn Monroe
- “It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone — so far.” ― Marilyn Monroe
- “Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you’re a human being, you feel, you suffer.” — Marilyn Monroe
Famous Marilyn Monroe Sayings From Movies
Here are a few of our favorite movie quotes from Marilyn Monroe.
- “It’s not how long it takes, it’s who’s taking you.”
- “Story of my life. I always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop.”
- “I don’t care how rich he is, as long as he has a yacht, his own private railroad car, and his own toothpaste.”
- “A herring? Isn’t it amazing how they get those big fish into those little glass jars?”
- “It’s me, Sugar!”
- “If my mother could only see me now.”
- “Don’t you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn’t marry a girl just because she’s pretty, but my goodness, doesn’t it help?”
- “I always say a kiss on the hand might feel very good, but a diamond tiara lasts forever.”
- “Dorothy, please, a lady never admits her feet hurt.”
- “I can be smart when it’s important.”
- (Talking about a tiara) “You DO wear it on your head. I just LOVE finding new places to wear diamonds.”
- “Excuse me, but what is the way to Europe, France?”
- “I want you to find happiness and stop having fun.”
- “There was an old man named Sidney…Who drank till he ruined a kidney. It shriveled and shrank, but he drank and he drank…He had his fun doing it, didn’t he?”
- “Rachmaninoff…It isn’t fair…Every time I hear it, I go to pieces…It shakes me, it quakes me. It makes me feel goose-pimply all over. I don’t know where I am or who I am or what I’m doing. Don’t stop. Don’t stop. Don’t ever stop!”
- “When it gets hot like this, you know what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!”
- “I think it’s just elegant to have an imagination. I just have no imagination at all. I have lots of other things, but I have no imagination.”
- “Hey, did you ever try dunking a potato chip in champagne? It’s real crazy!”
- “A stairway to nowhere! I think that’s just elegant.”
- “You sure have strong thumbs!”
- “Hi. It’s me, don’t you remember? The tomato from upstairs.”
Marilyn Monroe Quotes About Real Beauty
Sadly, people didn’t give Marilyn Monroe the credit she deserved for her intelligence; she was FAR from the dumb blonde she played in a lot of her movies, yet that was her most common role. She spent a lot of her time making sure young girls — and women who didn’t have the same hourglass shape as her — knew how important inner beauty and intelligence were. Also, read best Beauty and The Beast Quotes, too.
- “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “To all the girls that think you’re ugly because you’re not a size 0, you’re the beautiful one. It’s society who’s ugly.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “Your clothes should be tight enough to show you’re a woman, but loose enough to show you’re a lady.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “Always be yourself, retain individuality, listen to the truest part of yourself.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “Boys think girls are like books. If the cover doesn’t catch their eye, they won’t bother to read what’s inside.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “I don’t mind being burdened with being glamorous and sexual. Beauty and femininity are ageless and can’t be contrived, and glamour, although the manufacturers won’t like this, cannot be manufactured. Not real glamour; it’s based on femininity.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they’re pretty, even if they aren’t.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “A girl should be like a butterfly. Pretty to see, hard to catch.” — Marilyn Monroe
- “Be real, be yourself, be unique, be true, be honest, be humble, be happy.” — Marilyn Monroe
If you are looking for inspiration, Bob Marley quotes continue to inspire and enlighten for ages. And if you are looking for a laugh, then Robin Williams quotes make us smile with his poignant statements.