At some point in our lives, we all have experienced the feeling of being alone and being lonely from time to time. Of course, they aren’t the same. While alone quotes portray the feelings, loneliness quotes will surely inspire you and will encourage other people to try to understand what you’re really going through.
Even though you have people around you, you feel like you are all alone because it is not the state where you are physically alone, it is that state when you are emotional, mentally and socially alone.
These sayings ease your loneliness by reminding us all that we’re never truly alone because life is connected to the various expressions of itself. As meaningful quotes demonstrate, we are part of all life; the universe is also inside because there is nowhere it is not. Once you can learn how to embrace solitude, you can also learn to enjoy and grow as an individual. Sometimes you just want to feel the feels, and depressing quotes help in motivating people to get over their sorrow and move on.
This is an emotion that everyone experiences at least once in their lives, and sad quotes will perfectly describe it. You need to have some time to recharge and reflect more often. It helps you to have a deeper understanding with regards to your own emotions. You can have time to do the things that you enjoy the most.
Top 10 Alone Quotes
“Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” —Henry Rollins tweet
“Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. Life’s cruelest irony.” ― Douglas Coupland tweet
“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” ― Gautama Buddha tweet
“Look at the sky. We are not alone. The whole universe is friendly to us and conspires only to give the best to those who dream and work.” ― A. P. J. Abdul Kalam tweet
“Let your mind alone, and see what happens.” ― Virgil Thomson tweet
“I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.” ― Henry David Thoreau tweet
“My alone feels so good, I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.” ― Warsan Shire tweet
“Without great solitude no serious work is possible.” ― Pablo Picasso tweet
“All man’s miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone.” ― Blaise Pascal tweet
“Don’t feel alone, because there is always someone out there who loves you more than you can imagine.” ― Anurag Prakash Ray tweet
Best Being Alone Quotes And Feeling Lonely Sayings
- There’s a tremendous difference between alone and lonely. You could be lonely in a group of people. I like being alone. I like eating by myself. I go home at night and just watch a movie or hang out with my dog. I have to exert myself and really say, oh God, I’ve got to see my friends ’cause I’m too content being by myself. -Drew Barrymore
- And in the end, all I learned was how to be strong… Alone.
- The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
- It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone. -Marilyn Monroe
- Sometimes, you just need a break. In a beautiful place. Alone. To figure everything out.
- The best part about being alone is that you really don’t have to answer to anybody. You do what you want. -Justin Timberlake
- I’m learning a lot about myself being alone and doing what I’m doing. -Chantal Kreviazuk
- He alone is great and happy who requires neither to command nor to obey in order to secure his being of some importance in this world. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- It’s easy to stand with the crowd it takes courage to stand alone.
- People can waste a large amount of their time trying to be accepted by people. Sometimes, God meant for you not to fit. You never know, you may hold the unique perspective that when voiced or demonstrated will change generations. -Shannon L. Alder
- I don’t want to be alone, I want to be left alone. -Audrey Hepburn
- The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared. -Lois Lowry
- Loneliness is and always has been the central and inevitable experience of every man. -Thomas Wolfe
- Sometimes it’s better to be alone, no one can hurt you that way. -Tinku Razoria
- When you are evolving to your higher self, the road seems lonely. But you’re simply shedding energies that no longer match the frequency of your destiny.
- Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone and solitude expresses the glory of being alone. -Paul Tillich
- If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company. -Jean-Paul Sartre
- If you want to be happy, learn to be alone without being lonely. Learn that being alone does not mean being unhappy. The world is full of plenty of interesting and enjoyable things to do and people who can enrich your life. -Michael Josephson
- We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness. -Albert Schweitzer
- Remember: the time you feel lonely is the time you most need to be by yourself. Life’s cruelest irony. -Douglas Coupland
- The hardest walk is walking alone, but it’s also the walk that makes you the strongest.
- Loneliness is my least favorite thing about life. The thing that I’m most worried about is just being alone without anybody to care for or someone who will care for me. -Anne Hathaway
- Yes, there is joy, fulfillment, and companionship but the loneliness of the soul in its appalling self-consciousness is horrible and overpowering. -Sylvia Plath
- Sometimes, you need to be alone. Not to be lonely, but to enjoy your free time being yourself.
- The eternal quest of the individual human being is to shatter his loneliness. -Norman Cousins
- Why do people have to be this lonely? What’s the point of it all? Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why? Was the earth put here just to nourish human loneliness? -Haruki Murakami
- A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words.
- Our uniqueness makes us special, makes perception valuable – but it can also make us lonely. This loneliness is different from being ‘alone’: You can be lonely even surrounded by people. The feeling I’m talking about stems from the sense that we can never fully share the truth of who we are. I experienced this acutely at an early age. -Amy Tan
- I don’t like depending on people because people leave all the time. Because at the end of the day all you have is yourself and has to be enough.
- Loneliness is a long, unbearable pain….There was never a place for me in the scheme of things….I had become a living fantasy on a theme in dark, endless dirges….I made another world, and real men would enter it and they would never really get hurt at all in the vivid, unreal laws of the dream. I caused dreams which caused death. This is my crime. -Dennis Nilsen
- Standing alone is better than standing with people who don’t value you.
- Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. -Arthur C. Clarke
- Being alone never felt right. Sometimes it felt good, but it never felt right. -Charles Bukowski
- To find peace, sometimes you have to be willing to lose the connection with the people, places, and things that create all the noise in your life.
- Sometimes, being different feels a lot like being alone. But with that being said, being true to that and being true to my standards and my way of doing things in my art and my music, everything that has made me feel very different… in the end, it has made me the happiest. -Lindsey Stirling
- When you have nobody you can make a cup of tea for, when nobody needs you, that’s when I think life is over. -Audrey Hepburn
- You smile, but you wanna cry. You talk, but you wanna be quiet. You pretend like you’re happy, but you aren’t.
- Loneliness is never crueler than when it is felt in close propinquity with someone who has ceased to communicate. -Germaine Greer
- I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes and felt it in others–young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Sometimes you need to take a break from everyone and spend time alone to experience, appreciate, and love yourself. -Robert Tew
- I secretly enjoy being alone – hiking alone, skiing alone, walking along the beach alone, going to movies alone. Do not get me wrong, I like sharing my life with other people, but sometimes really enjoy being as alone as possible. -Josh Zuckerman
- Sometimes I just want to disappear and see if anyone would miss me.
- Being alone on the moors is scary; as the rain clouds settle in, it makes you realize your place in nature. -Dave Davies
- Standing alone doesn’t mean I am alone. It means I’m strong enough to handle things all by myself.
- As I get older I’m more and more comfortable being alone. -Sienna Miller
- Keep in mind that to avoid loneliness, many people need both a social circle and an intimate attachment. Having just one or two may still leave you feeling lonely. -Gretchen Rubin
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it sure makes the rest of you lonely. -Charles M. Schulz
- People know your name, not your story. They’ve heard what you’ve done, but not what you’ve been through. So take their opinions of you with a grain of salt. In the end, it’s not what others think, it’s what you think about yourself that counts. Sometimes you have to do exactly what’s best for you and your life, not what’s best for everyone else.
- We are all born alone and die alone. The loneliness is definitely part of the journey of life. -Jenova Chen
- Loneliness is such an omnipotent and painful threat to many persons that they have little conception of the positive values of solitude and even, at times, are frightened at the prospect of being alone. -Rollo May
- When everything is lonely I can be my best friend. -Conor Oberst
- The best way to be happy with someone is to learn to be alone. That way the company will be a matter of choice and not the necessity.
- It is better to travel alone than with a bad companion. -African Proverb
- You may feel lost and alone. But God knows where you are and has a good plan for your future.
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. -Edna St. Vincent Millay
- I’m so scared of dying without ever being really seen. Can you understand? -David Foster Wallace
- The ones who notice the storms in your eyes, the silence in your voice and the heaviness in your heart are the ones you need to let in.
- I had already found that it was not good to be alone, and so made companionship with what there was around me, sometimes with the universe and sometimes with my own insignificant self, but my books were always my friends, let fail all else. -Joshua Slocum
- A man is born alone and dies alone, and he experiences the good and bad consequences of his karma alone, and he goes alone to hell or the Supreme abode. -Chanakya
- As for now I’m gonna hear the saddest songs and sit alone and wonder.I’m lonely. And I’m lonely in some horribly deep way and for a flash of an instant, I can see just how lonely, and how deep this feeling runs. And it scares the shit out of me to be this lonely because it seems catastrophic. -Augusten Burroughs
- He says he’s lonely, horribly lonely because of this love he feels for her. She says she’s lonely too. She doesn’t say why. -Marguerite Duras
- I think it’s good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone. -Amy Sedaris
- If you wanted to do something absolutely honest, something true, it always turned out to be a thing that had to be done alone. -Richard Yates
- The trouble is not really in being alone, it’s being lonely. One can be lonely in the midst of a crowd, don’t you think? -Christine Feehan
- To dare to live alone is the rarest courage; since there are many who had rather meet their bitterest enemy in the field, than their own hearts in their closet. -Charles Caleb Colton
- The hardest walk is walking alone. But if you let it, it’s the walk that can make you the strongest.
- Sometimes life is too hard to be alone and sometimes life is too good to be alone. -Elizabeth Gilbert
- How lonely it is here, and how well it suits you. -Franz Kafka
- He succeeded in being considered totally uninteresting. People left him alone. And that was all he wanted. -Patrick Süskind
- Believe in yourself. Even if you’re alone, it doesn’t mean you can’t do anything. Each of us has a purpose. You have a purpose, you just haven’t found it yet!
- The one who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crows. Those who walk alone are likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before. -Albert Einstein
- How do you know you’re alone? When you look around and everyone looked like they never knew you.
- Some steps need to be taken alone. It’s the only way to really figure out where you need to go and who you need to be.
- If you could read my mind, you’d be in tears.
- Booksellers are the most valuable destination for the lonely, given the numbers of books that were written because authors couldn’t find anyone to talk to. -Alain de Botton
- I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. -Albert Einstein
- What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be. -Ellen Burstyn
- Nobody knows about the little meltdowns I have when I’m alone. They only know about the smiles and laughs I show them.
- Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them. -Jodi Picoult
- You want to ask, am I lonely? Well, of course, lonely as a woman driving across country day after day, leaving behind mile after mile little towns she might have stopped and lived and died in. -Adrienne Rich
- One day you will be able to tell yourself, you made it! You never needed him! You’re going to live your life the way you want it to be.
- That feeling when you’re not necessarily sad, but you just feel really empty.
- Learn to be alone and to like it. There is nothing more empowering or freeing than learning to like your own company. -Mandy Hale
- It takes a strong person to remain single in a world that is accustomed to settling with anything just to say they have something.
- Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering and it’s all over much too soon. -Woody Allen
- And sometimes I just need to be alone, so I can cry without being judged, so I can think without being interrupted, so I don’t bring anyone else down with me.
- I was very often full of rage and despair. I was always lonely. In spite of all that I was and am in love with life. -Jeanette Winterson
- Sometimes the worst place you can be is in your own head.
- Hello, darkness, my old friend. I have to talk to you, again.
- I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone. -Robin Williams
- If you are afraid of being lonely, don’t try to be right. -Jules Renard
- There are days when solitude is a heady wine that intoxicates you with freedom, others when it is a bitter tonic, and still others when it is a poison that makes you beat your head against the wall. -Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
- I’m fascinated with myself and love hearing the sound of my own voice. I’d like to hear what I have to say. A lot of people don’t like being alone because they truly don’t like themselves, but I love me. -Gene Simmons
- No, I may not be physically alone. But mentally there is no one in sight.
- Music was my refuge. I could crawl into space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. -Maya Angelou
- It’s strange. I felt less lonely when I didn’t know you. -Jean-Paul Sartre
- No, I may not be physically alone. But mentally there is no one in sight.
- There are worse things than feeling alone. Things like being with someone and still feeling alone.
- I am lonely, yet not everybody will do. I don’t know why some people fill the gaps and others emphasize my loneliness. -Anaïs Nin
- Some people can’t stand being alone. I love solitude and silence. But when I come out of it, I’m a regular talking machine. It’s all or nothing for me. -Celine Dion
- I see myself forever and ever as the ridiculous man, the lonely soul, the wanderer, the restless frustrated artist, the man in love with love, always in search of the absolute, always seeking the unattainable. -Henry Miller
- Loneliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best you can do is know yourself; know what you want. -Janet Fitch
- We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone. -Orson Welles
- You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with. -Wayne Dyer
- The most terrible poverty is loneliness and the feeling of being unloved. -Mother Teresa
- I know you’re sad so I know I won’t tell you to have a good day. Instead, I’ll tell you to take care of yourself. Get through the day without giving up. Tomorrow is going to be brand new. You alone can decide which direction you want to take.
- Loneliness is sad, aloneness is blissful. -Osho
- Some people tremble at the idea of being alone. I don’t understand. I love my solitude. My energy is never leeched; my feelings are never hurt. I treat myself well, I entertain myself, but it’s peaceful. -Sylvester Mcnutt
- We’re all lonely for something we don’t know we’re lonely for. How else to explain the curious feeling that goes around feeling like missing somebody we’ve never even met? -David Foster Wallace
- For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. -Audrey Hepburn
- The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.
If you’re searching for the best sayings and images to share with the people you love or just want to feel inspired yourself… look no further! From the sweetest friend quotes, words of wisdom, and quotes about loss, we’ve got you covered.
Some Questions About Being Alone
Actually some people can feel lonely while surrounded by people. Just because they don’t feel connected. In other hand loneliness means you want to be more connected to others.
Loners are very self-aware, this is the main reason they prefer to be alone. Being friends with a loner is something not many have the opportunity to experience. I think the key is here being self-aware.
Do not drink too much alcohol. It can cause other problems.
Try to eat healthy and do some exercise.
Have a routine, it helps you to stay in touch with life.
Face your fears, if you avoid them they are going to be more difficult to solve.