We all look up to strong, independent women. But how do we become one ourselves?
Most lists of graduation quotes are dominated by the counsel of men, and it certainly isn’t because women lack words of wisdom. So, I curated a list of my favorite quotes from luminaries living and dead, activists and athletes, authors and actors, leaders and lovers, all women. Each of these is powerful in its own right; together, they form a motivational stew, encouraging you to seize life and sprint towards success.
If you’re searching for powerful affirmations for women to share with the people you love or just want to feel inspired yourself, browse through an amazing collection of best beautiful woman quotes, girly quotes and motivational boss babe quotes.
Top 10 Strong Women Quotes
The strongest actions for a woman is to love herself, be herself and shine amongst those who never believed she could.
Life is tough, my darling, but so are you. – Stephanie Bennett-Henry
A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. – Eleanor Roosevelt tweet
I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much. – Mother Teresa
You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness. – Diane von Furstenberg
A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong.
I didn’t get there by wishing for it or hoping for it, but by working for it. – Estée Lauder
I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done. – Lucille Ball
If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one. – Dolly Parton
It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent. – Madeleine Albright
Most Inspirational Strong Women Quotes
If I stop to kick every barking dog I am not going to get where I’m going. – Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. – Helen Keller
We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free. – Kavita Ramdas
I was smart enough to go through any door that opened. – Joan Rivers
Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputations can never effect a reform. – Susan B. Anthony
A strong woman accepts both compliments and criticism graciously, knowing that it takes both sun and rain for a flower to grow.
When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful. – Malala Yousafzai
Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement. – Golda Meir
Knowing what must be done does away with fear. – Rosa Parks
Power’s not given to you. You have to take it. – Beyoncé Knowles Carter
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. – Amelia Earhart
The difference between successful people and others is how long they spend time feeling sorry for themselves. – Barbara Corcoran
Be a strong woman. So, your daughter will have a role model and your son will know what to look for in a woman when he’s a man.
You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them. – Shonda Rhimes
I hope the fathers and mothers of little girls will look at them and say ‘yes, women can.’ – Dilma Rousseff
Beware of monotony; it’s the mother of all the deadly sins. – Edith Wharton
A strong woman looks a challenge in the eye and gives it a wink.
Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then –Diana Ross
If you don’t risk anything, you risk even more. – Erica Jong
I have stood on a mountain of no’s for one yes. – B. Smith
She was a wild one; always stomping on eggshells that everyone else tip-toed on. – Kaitlin Foster
The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice. – Peggy O’Mara
You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe. – Leymah Gbowee
If you think taking care of yourself is selfish, change your mind. If you don’t, you’re simply ducking your responsibilities. – Ann Richards
You can’t give up! If you give up, you’re like everybody else. – Chris Evert
No matter how difficult and painful it may be, nothing sounds as good to the soul as the truth. – Martha Beck
Done is better than perfect. – Sheryl Sandberg
One of the secrets to staying young is to always do things you don’t know how to do, to keep learning. – Ruth Reichl
She has been through hell. So, believe me when I say, fear her when she looks into the fire and smiles.
Take care of yourself now that you’re old enough to know how. Drink water, sleep eight hours (I wish) and don’t go within 400 feet of a tanning booth or I’ll slap you. Hard. – Olivia Wilde
Be first and be lonely. – Ginni Rometty
One cannot accomplish anything without fanaticism. – Eva Perón
Look your best – who said love is blind? – Mae West
Don’t take too much credit for your children – or too much blame! – Debora Spar
You can imprison a man, but not an idea. You can exile a man, but not an idea. You can kill a man, but not an idea. – Benazir Bhutto
Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create. – Oprah Winfrey
What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. – Jane Goodall
I firmly believe you never should spend your time being the former anything. – Condoleezza Rice
Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts … good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don’t hurt. They’re not painful. That’s not just with somebody you want to marry, but it’s with the friends that you choose. It’s with the people you surround yourselves with. —Michelle Obama
I may be wearing makeup, but I can throw a fastball by you at the same time. – Jennie Finch
A good compromise is one where everybody makes a contribution. – Angela Merkel
A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done. – Marge Piercy
I choose to make the rest of my life the best of my life. – Louise Hay
Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. – Julia Child
If your home environment is good and peaceful and easy, your life is better and easier. – Lori Greiner
In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different. – Coco Chanel
The best protection any woman can have is courage. – Elizabeth Cady Stanton
We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls: ‘You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful. Otherwise, you will threaten the man.’ Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices, always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support, but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don’t teach boys the same? – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader. –Dolly Parton
The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. – Ayn Rand
Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier. – Mother Teresa
Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you. – Hillary Clinton
When we speak, we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So, it is better to speak. – Audre Lorde
Strong Confident Woman Quotes
There are still situations that can bring me down, which is why I decided to create some sort of an homage to the strong, rebellious, independent and sassy women that inspired millions to become one themselves. Quotes about working hard are the necessary reminder that helps me to empower myself whenever I’m feeling down.
Astonishingly, reading these quotes helps me to walk in the shoes of these fantastic women, which energizes and empowers me.
- I have come to realize making yourself happy is most important. Never be ashamed of how you feel. You have the right to feel any emotion you want and do what makes you happy. That’s my life motto. – Demi Lovato
- The girls who were unanimously considered beautiful often rested on their beauty alone. I felt I had to do things, to be intelligent and develop a personality in order to be seen as attractive. By the time I realized maybe I wasn’t plain and might even possibly be pretty, I had already trained myself to be a little more interesting and informed. – Diane Von Furstenberg
- Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got. There is no yesterday, no tomorrow, it’s all the same day. –Janis Joplin
- Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself. – Eleanor Roosevelt
- Women will only have true equality when men share with them the responsibility of bringing up the next generation. – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim. – Nora Ephron
- You should treat your marriage like a business that you wouldn’t want to let fail. – Lisa Ling
- It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody. – Maya Angelou
- I’ll be honest with you. I’m a little bit of a loner. It’s been a big part of my maturing process to learn to allow people to support me. I tend to be very self-reliant and private. And I have this history of wanting to work things out on my own and protect people from what’s going on with me. – Kerry Washington
- Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination. – Mae Jemison
- In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man; if you want anything done, ask a woman. – Margaret Thatcher
- The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn. – Gloria Steinem
- Buckle up and know that it’s going to be a tremendous amount of work but embrace it. –Tory Burch
- I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. – Maya Angelou
- Change your life today. Don’t gamble on the future, act now, without delay. – Simone de Beauvoir
- Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has –Margaret Mead
- Feminists believe that men and women should have the same opportunities. If you are a feminist, you believe in equal rights as a whole. That’s not a concept you can really shoot down. –Lena Dunham
- Figure out who are you separate from your family, and the man or woman you’re in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self. With that, you can do anything else. –Angelina Jolie
- I’m a woman, of course, I still have curves on me, and that’s ok. I had a baby and I’ve worked hard. And I don’t think women should have to feel that kind of pressure. I’ve done it really healthfully, and I took my time. –Lily Aldridge
- If you’re not making some notable mistakes along the way, you’re certainly not taking enough business and career chances. – Sallie Krawcheck
- A surplus of effort could overcome a deficit of confidence. – Sonia Sotomayor
- The most effective way to do it is to do it. – Amelia Earhart
Quotes About Being a Strong Woman and Moving On
My strength did not come from lifting weights. My strength came from lifting myself up when I was knocked down. – Bob Moore
Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness. – Oprah Winfrey
I would like to be known as an intelligent woman, a courageous woman, a loving woman, a woman who teaches by being.
The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain. – Jennifer Aniston
The quiet girl who manages to go through every day with a smile gives me hope that tomorrow will be even better.
To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage because we don’t want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt. – Madonna
We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained. – Marie Curie
Life has knocked me down a few times. It showed me things I never wanted to see. I experienced sadness and failures. But one thing for sure, I always get up!
I think men are afraid to be with a successful woman because we are terribly strong, we know what we want, and we are not fragile enough. – Shirley Bassey
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. – Katharine Hepburn
Everyone has inside of her a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is. – Anne Frank
You grow up the day you have your first real laugh at yourself. – Ethel Barrymore
Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. And, when you stumble, keep the faith. And, when you’re knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on. – Hillary Clinton
Doubt is a killer. You just have to know who you are and what you stand for. – Jennifer Lopez
A woman is a full circle. Within her is the ability to create, nurture, and transform. – Diane Mariechild
The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. – Alice Walker
Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning. – Gloria Steinem
You can be the lead in your own life. – Kerry Washington
No matter how senior you get in an organization, no matter how well you’re perceived to be doing, your job is never done. – Abigail Johnson
When you feel copied, remember that people can only go where you have already been, they have no idea where you are going next. – Liz Lange
You can’t please everyone, and you can’t make everyone like you. – Katie Couric
No one changes the world who isn’t obsessed. – Billie Jean King
Do not judge me until you know me, do not underestimate me until you have challenged me, and do not talk about me until you have talked to me.
Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, “She doesn’t have what it takes." They will say, “Women don’t have what it takes." – Clare Boothe Luce
The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. – Roseanne Barr
She was fierce. She was simple. She was crazy and always had something to say. She had flaws, but when she was down, she got right back up. She was a beast in her own way, but one word described her best… Strong!
Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong. – Ella Fitzgerald
Giving up doesn’t always mean you’re weak. Sometimes you’re just strong enough to let go. –Taylor Swift
A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power of anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of. –Zendaya
I do not wish them to have power over men, but over themselves. – Mary Wollstonecraft
Women are never stronger than when they arm themselves with their weaknesses. – Marie de Vichy-Chamrond
My honor was not yielded but conquered merely. – Cleopatra
Proud To Be A Woman Quotes
Don’t let the negativity of the world get you down, there is so much to look forward to and so much to be proud of. You are a woman, and therefore, you are strong. Let use mother daughter sayings to celebrate all woman…
- I don’t want the fear of failure to stop me doing what I really care about. – Emma Watson
- I am a Woman. Phenomenally. Phenomenal Woman, that’s me. – Maya Angelou
- … women ARE complicated. Women are multifaceted. Not because women are crazy. But because people are crazy, and women happen to be people. – Tavi Gevinson
- Make sure you have your own life before becoming someone’s wife – Beyonce Knowles
- I think every woman in our culture is a feminist. They may refuse to articulate it, but if you were to take any woman back 40 years and say, ‘is this the world you want to live in?’ they would say ‘no’. Helen Mirren
- When I’m hungry, I eat. When I’m thirsty, I drink. When I feel like saying something, I say it. – Madonna
- The extremists are afraid of books and pens, the power of education frightens them. They are afraid of women. – Malala Yousafzai
- No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor. – Betty Friedan
- Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be. – Elizabeth Gilbert
- It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends. – J.K. Rowling
- A strong woman loves, forgives, walks away, let’s go, tries again, and perseveres … no matter what life throws at her.
- Barbie’s disfigured. It’s fine to play with her just as long as you keep that in mind. – Lena Dunham
- A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men. – Gloria Steinem
- It’s not my responsibility to be beautiful. I’m not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me. – Warsan Shire
- And the salt in my wounds isn’t burning any more than it used to. It’s not that I don’t feel the pain, it’s just I’m not afraid of hurting anymore.
- Women have served all these centuries as looking glasses possessing the magic and delicious power of reflecting the figure of man at twice its natural size. – Virginia Woolf
I’m A Strong Woman Quotes
Beyonce said it best when she sang, “Who run the world? Girls." These famous quotes will help to light a fire that will burn brightly for years to come. Use thank you quotes to say thanks powerful woman around you.
- On my own, I will just create, and if it works, it works, and if it doesn’t, I’ll create something else. I don’t have any limitations on what I think I could do or be. – Oprah Winfrey
- Hold your head and your standards high even as people or circumstances try to pull you down. – Tory Johnson
- The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. – Audrey Hepburn
- Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from. – Jodie Foster
- You take your life into your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. – Erica Jong
- Be that strong girl that everyone knew would make it through the worst. Be that fearless girl the one would dare to do anything. Be that independent girl, who doesn’t need a man. Be that girl who never backed down.
- I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship. – Mary Louise Alcott
- Life shrinks or expands in proportion with one’s courage. – Anaïs Nin
- I am always busy, which is perhaps the chief reason why I am always well. – Elizabeth Cady Stanton
- I learned a long time ago that there is something worse than missing the goal, and that’s not pulling the trigger. – Mia Hamm
- The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. – Coco Chanel
- Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold. – Helen Keller
- Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. – Brene Brown
- I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself. – Arianna Huffington
- I’m always perpetually out of my comfort zone. – Tory Burch
- I am a strong woman. I don’t sit around feeling sorry for myself, nor let people mistreat me. I don’t respond to people who dictate to me or try to bring me down. If I fall, I will rise up even stronger because I am survivor and not a victim. I am in control of my life and there is nothing I can’t achieve.
- If you can’t go straight ahead, you go around the corner. – Cher
- If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is. – Angelina Jolie
- Everyone shines, given the right lighting. – Susan Cain
- I know for sure that what we dwell on is what we become. – Oprah Winfrey
- If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not making decisions. – Catherine Cook
- I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear. – Rosa Parks
- Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live in? – Caroline Myss
- If you’re someone people count on, particularly in difficult moments, that’s a sign of a life lived honorably. – Rachel Maddow
- When you embrace your difference, your DNA, your look or heritage or religion or your unusual name, that’s when you start to shine. – Bethenny Frankel
- You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute. – Tina Fey
- It’s not your job to like me, it’s mine. – Byron Katie
- Aging is not ‘lost youth,’ but a new stage of opportunity and strength. – Betty Friedan
- It needs to be said and heard; it’s OK to be who you are. – Hailee Steinfeld
- If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing. – Margaret Thatcher
- The challenge is not to be perfect…it’s to be whole. – Jane Fonda
- Don’t look at your feet to see if you are doing it right. Just dance. – Anne Lamott
- There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there. – Indira Gandhi
- All careers go up and down like friendships, like marriages, like anything else, and you can’t bat a thousand all the time. – Julie Andrews
- If somebody can do something 80 percent as good as you think you would have done it yourself, then you’ve got to let it go. – Sara Blakely
- The woman who doesn’t require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet. – Mohadesa Najumi
- A strong man can handle a strong woman. A weak man will say she has attitude.
Some Questions About Being Strong Women
It means you are no longer looking for help or validation from someone else who is going to tell you what you “must" do. In other saying: You are taking your decisions by your own
At first, you must focus “the moment”, challenge yourself, exercise your mind, respect to others etc.
Learn something new, a new language, a hobby etc.
Take care of yourself
Dress clean and well
Focus on the areas to improve etc.