Many people get depressed at one point or another throughout life. Whether it’s caused by the death of a family member, environmental stress, or mental illness, feelings of depression can become difficult for many people. Unfortunately, some people get so depressed as a result of their mental illness or life circumstances, that they consider suicide as an option to escape from their emotional pain.
You are STRONG.
Everyone gets sad sometimes. But if you (or someone you love) is severely depressed, it’s more than just sad. Sometimes people get to the point of not wanting to live.
Sadly, many people turn to suicide when they feel they have no other options, but if you or someone you know is at this point, it’s time to get some outside help. Suicide is never the answer, and we want to remind you that things really do get better even when sometimes it’s impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
If you have contemplated or survived suicide, don’t be ashamed.
You are not weak — you are STRONG.
And you WILL get through this. But sometimes getting a little help from someone that is not yourself is exactly the thing you need to keep on going, even when you don’t feel the drive to anymore.
For immediate help, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 to speak to someone who knows exactly what you’re going through.
Or if you have a loved one that’s having a tough time, or if you need just a little boost yourself, we’ve collected a few suicide prevention quotes that we hope will remind you that this is not the end of the road and that there are better, brighter, happier things ahead of you, all the time.
When you feel like giving up, just remember the reason why you held on for so long.
“Think of all the beauty thats still left in and around you and be happy!” – Anne Frank
“Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
Here an amazing talk from Sergeant Kevin Briggs:
Let Tweet these myths to increase awareness:
Myth: People who talk about suicide won’t really do it. Here is the fact:
Fact: Almost everyone who attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Don’t ignore even indirect references to death or suicide. Statements like “You’ll be sorry when I’m gone,” “I can’t see any way out,” — no matter how casually or jokingly said, may indicate serious suicidal feelings.
Myth: If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop them. Here is the fact:
Fact: Even the most severely depressed person has mixed feelings about death, wavering until the very last moment between wanting to live and wanting to die. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however overpowering, does not last forever.
Myth: Talking about suicide may give someone the idea. Here is the fact:
Fact: You don’t give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true—bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do.
Source: SAVE – Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
Suicide Awareness Quotes with Image
Feel free to share these quotes on strength on Pinterest and Facebook.
If you hate your life, change your way of living, suicide should not be committed because what if…
The real reason for not committing suicide is because you always know how swell life gets again after the hell is over — Ernest Hemingway
Grit your teeth and let it hurt. Don’t deny it, don’t be overwhelmed by it. It will not last forever. — Harold Kushner
You have the power to say, “This is not how my story will end.”
When you feel like giving up, just remember the reason why you held on for so long.
Place your hand over your heart, can you feel it? That is called purpose. You’re alive for a reason so don’t ever give up.
Think of all the beauty that’s still left in and around you and be happy! — Anne Frank
Hope is a necessity for normal life and the major weapon against the suicide impulse. — Karl Menninger
Never let a stumble in the road be the end of the journey.
I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.
Here are the 101 Best Meaningful Quotes for Tattoos Selected for You.
Suicide Awareness Sayings
What is it about a short quotation that carries so much power? Anyone who has ever been moved by “I have a dream” or “I think, therefore I am” knows that a single, simple short meaningful quotes can change a day, a life, a world. For those who suffer from depression, quotes about depression, words of uplift and inspiration are always welcome. Getting people to talk about their innermost feelings and emotions in times of distress and despair is always to best way to deal with their internal conflicts.
- “Our real blessings often appear to us in the shape of pains, losses, and disappointments; but let us have patience and we soon shall see them in their proper figures.” – Joseph Addison
- “Suicide doesn’t end the chances of life getting worse, it eliminates the possibility of it ever getting any better.” – Unknown
- “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable.” – Joseph Addison
- “If you are looking for a sign not to kill yourself, this is it.” – Unknown
- “One cannot change the past, but one can ruin the present by worrying about the future.” – Anonymous
- “It is not what we get. But who we become, what we contribute… that gives meaning to our lives.” – Anthony Robbins
- “Anyone desperate enough for suicide should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” – Richard Bach
- “When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don’t even remember leaving open.” – Rose Lane
- “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.” – Unknown
- “Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars… and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers – for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.” – Osho
- “If you want to show me that you really love me, don’t say that you would die for me, instead stay alive for me.” – Unknown
- “Happiness comes from spiritual wealth, not material wealth… Happiness comes from giving, not getting. If we try hard to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also. To get joy, we must give it, and to keep joy, we must scatter it.” – John Templeton
- “The person who completes suicide dies once. Those left behind die a thousand deaths, trying to relive those terrible moments and understand … Why?” – Clark (2001)
- “Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” – Author Unknown
- Here are the 147 Cute Life Quotes for New Perspective on Love & Happiness.
- “Think of all the beauty that’s still left in and around you and be happy!” – Anne Frank
- “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” Alexander Graham Bell
- “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”
- “One of the secrets of life is to make stepping-stones out of stumbling blocks.” – Jack Penn
- “When things get tough, don’t move. People and pressures shift but the sail remains the same no matter where you go.” – Unknown
- “Good character is more to be praised than outstanding talent. Most talents are, to some extent, a gift. Good character, by contrast, is not given to us. We have to build it, piece by piece–by thought, choice, courage, and determination.” – H. Jackson Brown
- “Never never never give up.” – Winston Churchill
- When it is darkest, we can see the stars.–Ralph Waldo Emerson
Suicide prevention quotes can be helpful
If you have ever been suicidal, you likely understand that it can be quite difficult to escape the feeling. While suicidal, sometimes the only thing you can do is to give yourself a little bit of psychological hope in the form of inspirational quotes. Quotes don’t take the pain away, but they usually shift our perspective enough to give us a little bit of hope, allowing us to make it through the day and cope with the pain.
It can be incredibly difficult to continue living when we feel suicidal. No one chooses to feel suicidal intentionally, but this feeling is a reality for many people. You may currently be in a lot of pain, but you never know what’s in store for your future. Your future could be filled with more pleasure than you ever expected, but if you follow through with suicide, you’ll never get to experience that pleasure or even get to experience relief.
Life is never going to be “easy” for anyone, but you can learn from your past, live in the present, and work to better your future. No matter who you are or how suicidal you feel, there is the treasure on your inside. You are completely unique and have a gift to offer the world that is completely unique. Leaving the world prematurely by taking your own life will also be taking the gift that you were meant to share with others, and ultimately this world will not be as bright as it was meant to be.