Many people get depressed at one point or another throughout life. Whether it’s caused by the death of a family member, environmental stress, or mental illness, feelings of depression can become difficult for many people. Unfortunately, some people get so depressed as a result of their mental illness or life circumstances, that they consider suicide as an option to escape from their emotional pain.
If you’re searching for reassuring quotes about mental health that perfectly capture what you’d like to say or just want to feel inspired yourself, browse through an amazing collection of profound paranoid quotes, best occupational therapy quotes and greatest suicidal thoughts quotes.
You are STRONG.
Everyone gets sad sometimes. But if you (or someone you love) is severely depressed, it’s more than just sad. Sometimes people get to the point of not wanting to live.
Sadly, many people turn to suicide when they feel they have no other options, but if you or someone you know is at this point, it’s time to get some outside help. Suicide is never the answer, and we want to remind you that things really do get better even when sometimes it’s impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
If you have contemplated or survived suicide, don’t be ashamed.
You are not weak — you are STRONG.
And you WILL get through this. But sometimes getting a little help from someone that is not yourself is exactly the thing you need to keep on going, even when you don’t feel the drive to anymore.
For immediate help, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 to speak to someone who knows exactly what you’re going through.
Or if you have a loved one that’s having a tough time, or if you need just a little boost yourself, we’ve collected a few suicide prevention quotes that we hope will remind you that this is not the end of the road and that there are better, brighter, happier things ahead of you, all the time.
When you feel like giving up, just remember the reason why you held on for so long.
“Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy!” – Anne Frank
“Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
Let Tweet these myths to increase awareness:
Myth: People who talk about suicide won’t really do it. Here is the fact:
Fact: Almost everyone who attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Don’t ignore even indirect references to death or suicide. Statements like “You’ll be sorry when I’m gone,” “I can’t see any way out,” — no matter how casually or jokingly said, may indicate serious suicidal feelings.
Myth: If a person is determined to kill him/herself, nothing is going to stop them. Here is the fact:
Fact: Even the most severely depressed person has mixed feelings about death, wavering until the very last moment between wanting to live and wanting to die. Most suicidal people do not want death; they want the pain to stop. The impulse to end it all, however overpowering, does not last forever.
Myth: Talking about suicide may give someone the idea. Here is the fact:
Fact: You don’t give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true—bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do.
Source: SAVE – Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
Suicide Awareness Quotes with Image
Feel free to share these quotes on strength on Facebook.
Soak up the views. Take in the bad weather and the good weather. You are not the storm. — Matt Haig
There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind. — C. S. Lewis
If you hate your life, change your way of living, suicide should not be committed because what if…
he bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die. — Juliette Lewis
The world is a better place with you in it.
The real reason for not committing suicide is because you always know how swell life gets again after the hell is over. — Ernest Hemingway
To anyone out there who’s hurting—it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength. — Barack Obama
The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us. — Voltaire
Grit your teeth and let it hurt. Don’t deny it, don’t be overwhelmed by it. It will not last forever. — Harold Kushner
Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle. — Christian D. Larson
But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself. — Albert Camus
You have the power to say, “This is not how my story will end.”
All things are difficult before they are easy. — Thomas Fuller
If someone listens, or stretches out a hand, or whispers a word of encouragement, or attempts to understand a lonely person, extraordinary things begin to happen. — Loretta Girzartis
When you feel like giving up, just remember the reason why you held on for so long.
Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them — every day begin the task anew. — Saint Frances de Sales
If your heart is still beating, God Is not done with you yet. — Dillon Burroughs
Place your hand over your heart, can you feel it? That is called purpose. You’re alive for a reason so don’t ever give up.
The pain passes, but the beauty remains. — Pierre August Renoir
Hope is a necessity for a normal life and the major weapon against the suicide impulse. — Karl A. Menninger
Think of all the beauty that’s still left in and around you and be happy! — Anne Frank
There is a hero inside of you. You are the main character in an epic struggle between good and evil. Let’s travel to the dark places of grief together and climb out, where we can see the bigger picture. — Marie White
When I was 14, I came very close to becoming a gay teen suicide ‘statistic,’ but I then turned to music, my piano, my loved ones, and discovered that it does in fact get better. — Blake McIver Ewing
Hope is a necessity for normal life and the major weapon against the suicide impulse. — Karl Menninger
Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive. — Dr. Howard Thurman
Time is continuous and whatever is happening right now will soon become the past. You have been through trying times before and not only survived them but thrived because of them, and you will again. Right now, there is a world of possibilities which can be harnessed to help you thrive again. — Michael Nulty
Never let a stumble in the road be the end of the journey.
Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it. — Tori Amos
One day you will get more than what you could have ever perceived in the most wildest of your dreams; as you selflessly diffused the same; to all those brutally strangulated in the dormitories of unbelievably merciless agony. And that day was invincibly sure to come in yours and every benevolent entity’s life; so keep optimistically conceiving and working towards that day; don’t lose hope; don’t yet die. — Nikhil Parekh
I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.
Here are the 101 Best Meaningful Quotes for Tattoos Selected for You.
Suicide Prevention Quotes
What is it about a short quotation that carries so much power? Anyone who has ever been moved by “I have a dream” or “I think, therefore I am” knows that a single, simple short meaningful quotes can change a day, a life, a world. For those who suffer from depression, quotes about depression, words of uplift and inspiration are always welcome.
Getting people to talk about their innermost feelings and emotions in times of distress and despair is always to best way to deal with their internal conflicts.
- “Our real blessings often appear to us in the shape of pains, losses, and disappointments; but let us have patience and we soon shall see them in their proper figures.” – Joseph Addison
- “Suicide doesn’t end the chances of life getting worse, it eliminates the possibility of it ever getting any better.” – Unknown
- “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable.” – Joseph Addison
- “If you are looking for a sign not to kill yourself, this is it.” – Unknown
- “One cannot change the past, but one can ruin the present by worrying about the future.” – Anonymous
- “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” – Maru Anne Radmacher
- “It is not what we get. But who we become, what we contribute… that gives meaning to our lives.” – Anthony Robbins
- “Anyone desperate enough for suicide should be desperate enough to go to creative extremes to solve problems: elope at midnight, stow away on the boat to New Zealand and start over, do what they always wanted to do but were afraid to try.” – Richard Bach
- “When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don’t even remember leaving open.” – Rose Lane
- “When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- “The key to getting beyond your struggles is making choices that invite new possibilities — new ways of thinking, feeling, behaving, and living your life for the better.” – Michael Nulty
- “Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have.” – Unknown
- “Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars… and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers – for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.” – Osho
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard
- “This life. This night. Your story. Your pain. Your hope. It matters. All of it matters.” – Jamie Tworkowski
- “Suicide is a serious thing. And if you know anyone who is suicidal, you need to get them help. No one should be in pain. Everyone should love themselves.” – Gerard Way
- “If you want to show me that you really love me, don’t say that you would die for me, instead stay alive for me.” – Unknown
- “There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that… But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.” – Gerard Way
- “Happiness comes from spiritual wealth, not material wealth… Happiness comes from giving, not getting. If we try hard to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also. To get joy, we must give it, and to keep joy, we must scatter it.” – John Templeton
- “The person who completes suicide dies once. Those left behind die a thousand deaths, trying to relive those terrible moments and understand … Why?” – Clark (2001)
- “When you are tempted to give up, your breakthrough is probably just around the corner.” – Joyce Meyer
- “I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Your life is not over. Your life is important. Don’t take your beauty fom the world.”
- “No, you aren’t alone. Yes, we all feel this way sometimes. No, you won’t always feel like this. Yes, the world is a better place with you in it.”
- “Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” – Author Unknown
- Here are the 147 Cute Life Quotes for New Perspective on Love & Happiness.
- “Think of all the beauty that’s still left in and around you and be happy!” – Anne Frank
- “Did you really want to die? No one commits suicide because they want to die. Then why do they do it? Because they want to stop the pain.” – Tiffanie DeBartolo
- “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
- “Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.” – Phil Donahue
- “There is beauty in the journey, regardless of the outcome. Let’s grieve and hope and fight together.” –Marie White
- “The harder the journey the more glorious the victory.” – Melissa Dohme
- “You can either be crushed by horrific events and lose your sanity, your family, and your life. Or, you can take this pain that was thrust upon you, to propel into greatness. You can make it through this. I know it’s hard.” – Marie White
- “One of the secrets of life is to make stepping-stones out of stumbling blocks.” – Jack Penn
- “When things get tough, don’t move. People and pressures shift but the sail remains the same no matter where you go.” – Unknown
- “The pain you hid overtook you like the darkness overtakes the sun. But I comfort myself in knowing that even on the darkest night, stars still shine.”
- “Good character is more to be praised than outstanding talent. Most talents are, to some extent, a gift. Good character, by contrast, is not given to us. We have to build it, piece by piece–by thought, choice, courage, and determination.” – H. Jackson Brown
- “Living each day is one of the most extraordinary acts of courage.”
- “Never never never give up.” – Winston Churchill
- “We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” – Carlos Castaneda
- “When people kill themselves, they think they’re ending the pain, but all they’re doing is passing it on to those they leave behind.” – Jeannette Walls
- “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “When it is darkest, we can see the stars.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Though you left this world behind that day, you still live on through your place in my heart.”
- “It wasn’t a choice of life or death. It’s the struggle of not being consumed by darkness.”
- “Because if you kill yourself, you’re also going to kill the people who love you.”
Suicide prevention quotes can be helpful
If you have ever been suicidal, you likely understand that it can be quite difficult to escape the feeling. While suicidal, sometimes the only thing you can do is to give yourself a little bit of psychological hope in the form of inspirational quotes. Quotes don’t take the pain away, but they usually shift our perspective enough to give us a little bit of hope, allowing us to make it through the day and cope with the pain.
It can be incredibly difficult to continue living when we feel suicidal. No one chooses to feel suicidal intentionally, but this feeling is a reality for many people. You may currently be in a lot of pain, but you never know what’s in store for your future. Your future could be filled with more pleasure than you ever expected, but if you follow through with suicide, you’ll never get to experience that pleasure or even get to experience relief.
Life is never going to be “easy” for anyone, but you can learn from your past, live in the present, and work to better your future. No matter who you are or how suicidal you feel, there is the treasure on your inside. You are completely unique and have a gift to offer the world that is completely unique. Leaving the world prematurely by taking your own life will also be taking the gift that you were meant to share with others, and ultimately this world will not be as bright as it was meant to be.